Tuesday, November 15, 2005

10 over 100

10 over 100: "Making a difference in the world starts with action, and there's nothing even a small organization can not achieve. I'm reminded of a classmate of mine, Patrick Awuah, who returned to his home country of Ghana to start a university to provide opportunities for his fellow Ghanians, and the quote from Goethe that inspired him: 'If there is anything you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.' Many thanks to Patrick for introducing me to that quote. It's time for the spirit of 10 over 100 to begin!"

Strictly speaking, I don't suppose 10 over 100 qualifies as an example of social entrepreneurship. However, it does reveal the deep yearning to make a positive contribution harboured in the hearts of many successful commercial entrepreneurs. Are you tapping into to this? Are you telling people about the power of social entrepreneurship every day? Or are you working like a secret agent?

If your humanitarian enterprise isn't growing, it's not because there aren't enough people interested in social and humanitarian entrepreneurship, but it might be because excessive timidity.

As James Hong puts it, 'making a difference in the world starts with action.' What actions to make a difference have you taken today?

See: He Made His Money on a Whim, but Now He's Got a Serious Idea - New York Times

Remember that the New York Times only allows free access to its articles for 2 weeks, so I urge you to read the above article today.
Blink It diigo itAdd to My AOLAdd to Google

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Tom.

It is as if the last 2 entries have been put on the site just for me. As I am at the beginning stages of building my business as a Social Entrepreneur, I am realising that my biggest obstacle is myself. The unique thing about this though is that I cannot afford to fail because the future of those in need is at stake. Failure therefore is not an option.

I am beginning to see that with the right attitude and a willingness to change, any goal that I set myself is achievable. It is time to stop focussing on the problems that are ahead, but rather on the goals and success that is on the other side off those problems.

3:32 pm  
Blogger Tom said...

Bryan,

Thanks for your feedback.

Tom

4:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home